About Rachel&Sam

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Bridesmaid Contract


When Sam and I got engaged, it wasn't long after that we started discussing who would be in our bridal party. I would be lying to you and myself if I tell you that I didn't know for months, if not years, who I would ask to be a bridesmaid. I think Sam knew as well. He emailed his friends the week after we got engaged and I think they all ready have a bachelor party in the works. ;-)

I, on the other hand, waited to ask until this past weekend. I waited for a few reasons - 1) We got engaged in April, right before finals, so planning wasn't supposed to be my priority at that time; 2) Three of my girls were still incredibly busy with their own wedding plans and one of my friends has been volunteering in Colombia since last September - I didn't want them to worry about helping me plan for an event that was more than a year and a half away. We have time.; and 3) I wanted the manner in which I ask my friends to be in my bridal party to be special, because each of them means so much to me.

Fast forward two and a half months. I realized last weekend that I didn't want to wait any longer and I am sure a lot of them were scratching their heads as to why I hadn't mentioned it yet. So I started searching for cute ways to ask. I thought of making greeting cards with sassy/quippy text, such as, "Thanks for this awesome taffeta monstrosity, Rach! So glad I agreed to be a bridesmaid!" to "I don't care what they say, sherbet orange looks fabulous on everyone!"



I also found this piece of literary genius - Bridesmaid Contract. Read it. I'll wait. . .

Although I found it to be HILARIOUS, I read a lot of articles about how upset some other bridal parties had gotten after receiving the contract from some seriously evil and passive aggressive brides. I didn't want to risk it. Also I wanted to make sure my girls knew that our wedding was going to be fun and relaxing and besides looking fabulous, they had nothing to worry about. So I adapted the heinous contract above so that it suited me and my ladies and emailed it to them. (What happened to the greeting card? Email is so eco-chic and budget -friendly. Two things I am trying to be.) Ahem. . .The Email:

From: Rachel
To: (Redacted)
July 5, 2009
Subject: Special Request


Hello, my loves! I would consider it an honor for you to be a part of Sam’s and my wedding day as a member of my bridal party. You are the honey-est of bunches & oats to me, and you have been throughout my life, which is why I couldn’t imagine going through this day without you by my side. I hope you will say yes to being a part of Sam’s and my special day!


If you need help making the decision, below is a contract for the wedding. I want to make sure we are all on the same page.


xo, Rach – heretofore Rachel.


I, (State your name), do solemnly swear:

______ My hair will remain at whatever length I want.


______ If I change my hair color, I will consider consulting Rachel because Rachel loves sassy hair.


______ My nails will remain the color and length that I prefer.

______ I will gain whatever weight I want. Rachel is my friend and loves me regardless. I promise to be healthy though.

______ Assuming there is a shower or a bachelorette party, I will be as involved as I can be.

______ I will hold Rachel to her promise that the bridesmaid dresses will be fabulous and won’t cost an arm and a leg. I will provide opinions on color and style, because I know Rachel likes input and gets bogged down by options.

______ If I get pregnant, YAY! Rachel loves babies and pregnant people. If I am not pregnant, Rachel has an extensive bar in which to imbibe in front of said pregnant people.

______I will dance my socks off at the reception and all other spontaneous dance parties that will most assuredly pop up between now and the wedding. If Rachel is not around for the aforementioned dance party, I will take a picture or a video. Rachel promises to watch or look at said picture and dance with you remotely. Consider this the telecommute of dancing.

______ I will tell Rachel when she is being crazy/unrealistic and why, specifically. I will not let Rachel go off the deep-end.

______ I will freely give hugs and support to Rachel from this day forward. Rachel loves hugs.

I do hereby swear that I will adhere to all of the above & other stated bridesmaid “duties” for the wedding on Friday, September 17, 2010.

X_________________________

(sign, print and date)



So there you have it. One of my next posts will let you know who the fabulous maids and men will be for our special day. Maybe I will find a video of a drum roll. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment